Here are some key takeaways from my interview with Lean Coordinator Allen Anderson:
1. Using mixed-model lines, they reduced WIP, co-located employees and made ergonomic improvements.
2. “Moving from batches of 50 to one-piece flow, we eliminated operator conflict.”
3. “It’s important to understand the change model that employees will go through. You need a people-centric approach. It can’t be a textbook approach”
4. “Surprised by how receptive employees can be when they realize Lean benefits them. Even some of the initial naysayers got on board.”
5. “It’s good to get some dedicated resources to guide and coach you. That way you can stay focused.”